Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Mobile Marketing - Could it be Cool?

The second I heard the words "Mobile Marketing" I thought of the spam box on my email, full of offers for free Ipods and get-a-way trips. My initial reaction to the concept of mobile marketing was quite negative and the future was looking bleak.

At last though, I thought, could there be a way to make mobile marketing valuable for consumers? I brain stormed a few examples and want to see what people think about using SMS in marketing strategies.

1) Airline Companies - This was the first example I thought of: Airliners. Southwest paved the way for paperless E-ticketing. Using text messages to notify customers that they can check in or perhaps sending a text about cheap rates in their area could boost revenues for the airliners and at the same save consumers money.

2) Ticketmaster.com - Receive a text message when tickets go on sale for that band you've been dying to see. I can't tell you how many times Rush has been to Jacksonville and I missed out on the show because I forgot! If I had been reminded to get those tickets I could have seen Neal Pert rock a ten minute drum solo!

3) CNBC - Text me the opening numbers of the NYSE, DOW, and NASDAQ. Be the wise guy at work who knows everything before everyone else. Sound smart and look good for clients and bosses and be the king of the water cooler. Oh yeah, CNBC can throw a few ads up - Not to mention grow their branding efforts.

Maybe mobile marketing isn't all bad? Maybe it's just change that I was afraid of. I hope that ad executives and marketing officers will stay creative and remember that the best way to gain and keep consumers under their guise is to keep providing them will good value. If I start getting spammed I'm going to take the high road - I'll sue somebody.

No comments: